Our Mission, History, & Values
The Peer Support Coalition of Florida empowers peers to lead.
On October 18, 2012, after The Florida Peer Network dissolved, peer leaders met in Tallahassee to discuss the need for a strong statewide peer network. From this discussion, the name The Peer Support Coalition of Florida (PSCFL) was born and a new mission was created. From 2012-2014, PSCFL focused on building membership, training peers on leadership and advocacy, providing education through a website and newsletter, and linking drop-in centers. In 2014, PSCFL led a peer leadership conference for drop-in center leaders. By the end of 2014, membership had grown to over 500 members. With membership and presence growing in the state, the PSCFL applied for 501c3 status, and in 2016, officially became a recognized 501c3. The PSCFL has been dedicated to assisting Florida peers with employment opportunities, with free access to an Employment Database, on our website, of Peer Specialist job openings (http://www.peersupportfl.org/jobs-for-peer-specialsts/
). The PSCFL has also been committed to inspiring active participation as change agents concerning treatment and system transformation through advocacy and participation in the Recovery-Oriented Systems of Care (ROSC) Summits with other key stakeholders across the state. Today, the PSCFL continues to provide wellness and recovery training and educational opportunities for peers, with over 300 individuals trained since July 2016. Membership continues to steadily grow, with over 700 active members to-date. As of January 2017, the PSCFL hired their first full-time employee, Cameron Wood, as their Executive Director; a huge step in the right direction to successfully sustain this strong growing statewide peer network. Members are always welcome and if you would like to be more involved, please contact us at email@example.com
. We look forward to continuing serving and empowering our peers to lead!
- We believe in Empowerment for all peers to solve their own mental health challenges.
- We embrace Diversity because we understand and honor cultural differences.
- We embrace Leadership for fostering peers to be effective change agents.
- We encourage Networking because it is an important step in building relationships.
- We believe in Peer Support because there is power in connecting with one another.
- We promote Recovery as an essential part of a peer’s ability to fulfill his or her potential.
- We believe in Advocacy because our lived experiences make us experts on the changes that affect us.